Kerry for Choice was established in January 2016. We are a grassroots all-volunteer pro-choice group dedicated to achieving free, safe, legal and local abortion care everywhere on the island of Ireland for everyone who wants or needs it. We are a regional branch of the Abortion Rights Campaign and members of the Coalition to Repeal the Eighth Amendment.
During the referendum on the Regulation of Termination of Pregnancy we canvassed as part of the national civil society organisation Together for Yes, which successfully campaigned to repeal the Eighth Amendment to the Irish Constitution in May 2018.
Kerry for Choice continues to work at a grassroots level to ensure that people living in rural areas have the same access to abortion care as those living in cities. As members of the Abortion Rights Campaign we are not aligned to any political party. We welcome members from all parties and none. We agree not to distribute party political literature at our events.
The Aims of Kerry for Choice
As members of the Abortion Rights Campaign our aims are:
- To promote support for stigma-free access to free, safe and legal abortion care in Ireland under the current Health (Regulation of Termination of Pregnancy) Act; to advocate for greater access to abortion care in future revisions of the Act; to push for the introduction of extensive abortion legislation in Northern Ireland, and to ensure the health of people in pregnancy is protected in line with international human rights standards.
- To educate the public and policy makers about the need to expand the right to legal abortion care under broader circumstances than allowed for under the Health (Regulation of Termination of Pregnancy) Act 2018.
- To lift the stigma and silence surrounding abortion and reproductive healthcare choices through educational programmes and awareness raising projects, and by facilitating people to share their abortion experiences in supportive and empowering environments.
- To educate the public and policy makers about the need for access to free, safe and legal abortion options in Ireland for all who need it, regardless of citizenship or financial capacity, in line with provision of other basic healthcare options.
- To continue to mobilise support nationally from a diverse range of groups, organisations, trades unions, communities and individuals for the right to choose in pregnancy.
- To promote the provision of relevant up-to-date information to support evidence-based policy-making and to challenge anti-choice rhetoric that threatens reproductive freedom.
Kerry for Choice is a grassroots organisation and fully reliant on funding from donations, fundraising events and selling merchandise. Read more about our fundraising efforts here.